Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pessimism

“A pessimist is someone who feels bad when he feels good for fear he will feel worse when he feels better.”

I saw this quote as I was preparing to leave the institute today and it really grabbed my attention. I did not fully understand this quote when I first read it, but after a little bit of pondering I feel that I have somewhat of an idea what is being said in this statement.

So often we as humans ponder our future more then the present. We see that there is potential for our situation to either improve or to worsen, but rarely will there be true consistency in our lives. Because our lives can change almost instantaneously at times it is easy to be fearful of what the future holds. A focus on the future can prove detrimental at times. This is what the quote speaks of.

When a person is consistently fearful that the situation will worsen, this will become an expectation. When negative outcomes are expected, it is natural to see more of the negative in everything. This attitude allows people to think that even if something good happens its not really that good, because now the situation only has more opportunity to get worse. This is the equivalent to putting on blinders blocking out good things.

Imagine going through life with this kind of attitude. It would be miserable. Yet so often we adopt this mentality, using it as an excuse or rationalization for remaining in our current situation. Why do we do this? Because in one point of view it is easier to think that it just won't work out. If we think that things are never going to work out, we will never be disappointed. However this method of self protection can only harm us.

When we go through life with a positive attitude we focus on the fact that good can happen to us, we seek that. The more we focus on good things the easier it will be to see them. We will indeed be able to have an increased sense of peace, and be better suited to take on the tragedies of life.

Our life is what we truly expect it to be. If we expect things to turn out poorly, they will. At least in our eyes. The converse is true as well. In our human nature we have a combination of both attitudes because we have experienced different emotions with different situations. So most often we are not completely pessimistic or optimistic. Usually, we lie fairly close to the middle. But we can change that with applied effort.

In the past I have had “positive days.” On these days I attempt to block out all negative thoughts and only think about positive things. It has been impossible to completely reach this goal. But I noticed a significant difference in my demeanor. I was happier, not because my situation had changed, but my attitude and focus had. I could see good where I otherwise would have been disappointed. It was amazing to me.

The true challenge in life is to be able to see the positive in everything. Even the greatest are perfect in this. But the resounding words of our former prophet echo in my mind to “try a little harder” and “be a little better.” What would the world be like if everyone were just a little more optimistic?

No comments: